William Wyler´s The Collector (1965)

Discussions relating to movie adaptations of John Fowles' novels (The Collector, The Magus, The French Lieutenant's Woman and The Ebony Tower).

William Wyler´s The Collector (1965)

Postby Haemoglobin on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:42 pm

I have finally seen this movie and I just cant come to a resolution if I like that. I was missing so many details in the movie, that seem not to be important, but I just did. For example -> G.P. wasnt mentioned (Frederick just says something about "the chap, who looks like Miranda´s lover to him"). Clearly, G.P. influenced Miranda in many ways and I just don't understand why there is not anything more about their relationship?

The second point I was missing are the emotional dialouges between M. and F. (e.g. the letter from Frederick´s Aunt).

On the other hand, the cast was excellent. I cant imagine anybody else to act Miranda instead of Samantha Eggar. And I did believe Terence Stamp is really as cunning and bizzare as "real Frederick."

I like especially the scene when Frederick finds the secret message to the parents of Miranda and presently he becomes the real superior.

Im sorry for my English.
Haemoglobin

Re: William Wyler´s The Collector (1965)

Postby Magusbob on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 pm

For more on the making of "The Collector," check out Volume One of Fowles' Journals. There is a lengthy (and fascinating) section of Fowles reminiscing about his time in Hollywood during the production of the film. Ironically, during the early days of shooting Samantha Eggar was considered horrible and came within an eyelash of being replaced. She ultimately went on to receive an Academy Award nomination for the role, while both she and Terence Stamp won top acting honors at Cannes for their roles in the film.
Magusbob
Site Admin

Postby nandagrey on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:28 pm

I've chosen to John Fowles for my dissertation and I'm in the middle of writing it right now. I reread The Collector and watched the film again yesterday. In my opinion Terence Stamp was a good choice but there is no correllation between Samatha Eggar and my idea of Miranda Grey whatsoever. I have been reading lots of critical books in the course of my research but I haven't read the journals yet but I plan on doing so soon. I'm fascinated to hear that John Fowles writes in some detail about the film adaptation. I know that in his opinion a 'low budget black and white' film would have done the novel more justice and I have to agree wholeheartedly. In fact I'm fairly suprised that it hasn't been remade. When you say Samantha Eggar was horrible do you mean as in unsuitable for the role or just generally a horrible person? I think in regards to appearance Pia Degermark from the film 'Elvia Madigan' would have been a perfect choice:
nandagrey

Postby Magusbob on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:07 am

In Fowles' Journals (Volume One), he states that the consensus was that Samantha Eggar was totally lacking in the ability to effectively play Miranda. This was based on the early rehearsals and shooting of scenes. When the film was released, her performance ended up being award-winning. I strongly recommend you read the Journals for Fowles' extremely interesting take on all of this.
Magusbob
Site Admin

Postby jamiehout on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Haemoglobin wrote:I have finally seen this movie and I just cant come to a resolution if I like that. I was missing so many details in the movie, that seem not to be important, but I just did. For example -> G.P. wasnt mentioned (Frederick just says something about "the chap, who looks like Miranda´s lover to him"). Clearly, G.P. influenced Miranda in many ways and I just don't understand why there is not anything more about their relationship?

The second point I was missing are the emotional dialouges between M. and F. (e.g. the letter from Frederick´s Aunt).

On the other hand, the cast was excellent. I cant imagine anybody else to act Miranda instead of Samantha Eggar. And I did believe Terence Stamp is really as cunning and bizzare as "real Frederick."

I like especially the scene when Frederick finds the secret message to the parents of Miranda and presently he becomes the real superior.

Im sorry for my English.

do u know where I can find or download the movie?
jamiehout

Return to Movie Adaptations