Word Count

Discussions relating to John Fowles' novel The Magus.

Word Count

Postby MinorCharacter on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:41 am

Hi all...strange question, but wondering if anyone has a word count on The Magus? Preparing to suggest it for a book group, and this is one of the things I'd like to share. Thanks.
MinorCharacter

Re: Word Count

Postby Magusbob on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:16 am

I've never come across an exact word count. However, there are 656 pages in the hardback of the Revised Edition (which is what you would likely be reading) and an average page contains approximately 300 words, so that would put it at about 200,000 words total.

By the way, I've presented The Magus to my book group, and of course it makes for an incredible discussion. I'm also an expert when it comes to the book, having read it more than 15 times over the years, spoken with Fowles and many academics about it, etc. If you--or anyone else out there--would like some suggestions regarding topics of discussion, I'd be happy to share.

Bob Goosmann
http://www.fowlesbooks.com
Magusbob
Site Admin

Fact

Postby Kerenabg on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:20 am

In 1999 The Magus was ranked on both lists of Modern Library 100 Best Novels, reaching number 93 on the editors' list, and 71 on the readers' list. In 2003, the novel was listed at number 67 on the BBC's survey The Big Read.
Kerenabg

Return to The Magus