Fowles' Hommages....

Discussions relating to John Fowles' novel The Magus.

Fowles' Hommages....

Postby mickmca on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:56 pm

I'm curious to know what the works and authors are that Fowles has Conchis use to create his "biography." I can specify three: The Norway story is a hommage to Ibsen so convincing that I spent years thinking, when I remembered it, that I was remembering an Ibsen play. The Belgian millionaire is based on Huysmans, A Rebours. The Cretan freedom fighter is lifted from Nikos Kazantzakis' Freedom or Death. But where does the "reminiscence" of WWI come from? I suspect Le Feu, by Henri Barbusse, but I haven't read it.

Are there any other pieces that Conchis has woven from literature?
mickmca

Re: Fowles' Hommages....

Postby Magusbob on Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Very interesting analysis of the potential sources of Conchis' reminiscences. I don't know if Fowles based the WWI episode on anything in particular...it's a fairly standard story. But he was, of course, greatly influenced in a general sense when writing The Magus by his favorite novel as a young man--The Lost Domain (Le Grand Meaulnes) by Alain-Fournier. Certainly worth reading in its own right, the book features a sense of mystery, seeking and longing that would greatly influence the tone of The Magus.
Magusbob
Site Admin

Return to The Magus